The good folks at the Nantahala Outdoor Center are excited to team up with WORLDKAYAK to host two FREE Hometown Throwdown events during this year’s Guest Appreciation Festival! Get pumped to throwdown in a freestyle rodeo for all skill levels on GAF Saturday & a boatercross race for all skill levels on GAF Sunday!! As usual, prizes are only given out for participation and both of these events will have a seriously loaded prize purse!!!
GAF Saturday HTTD Freestyle Rodeo event: The Novice classes will compete at the Surf School Wave and all other classes will compete on the 2013 Nantahala Wave. This event will be presented live by Chaco on WORLDKAYAK TV for all the world to see on-line! ***Did we mention there is a Jackson Kayak Rock Star in the prize purse for this event ?!
- On-Site Registration for the Rodeo event will be 11:00 – 11:45 A.M. at the canopy near Slow Joe’s. The event will kick off with a competitor’s meeting @ 11:45 A.M. at the registration canopy. The first heat of rides will kick off at 12:00 P.M. The awards ceremony and prize draw will follow shortly after the last heat of rides to conclude the event.
GAF Sunday HTTD Boatercross event: The race will start on the concrete beach on river right above the falls and finish at the Founder’s Bridge near the NOC Outfitter Store, through Nantahala Falls! We’ll have race heats divided by division and class. ***Did we mention there is a GoPro HD Hero camera in the prize purse for this event ?!
- On-Site Registration for the Boatercross event will be 10:00 – 10:45 A.M. at the canopy near Slow Joe’s. The event will kick off with a competitor’s meeting @ 10:45 A.M. at the registration canopy. The first heat of racers will kick off at 11:00 A.M. The awards ceremony and prize draw will follow shortly after the last heat of racers to conclude the event.
NOC Event Day Guidelines:
- The NOC has asked that you please obey the parking attendants for parking directions when you arrive on site. This is a very busy time of the year for them, so please be respectful of the parking situation. Please carpool or plan on dropping off your gear and parking at a remote lot. Parking is limited albeit FREE. Parking in unauthorized locations will result in being towed. Please obey all rules or you will inevitably be towed, which is not FREE
- Paddlers please put in and take out on NOC property (river left)—do not use the lower Silver Mine commercial take-out.
- Make sure you have a USFS Nantahala River use pass! You must have USFS annual ($5) or day use ($1) pass which can be purchased at the Wesser General Store, Outfitter’s Store or Rafting Center. The penalty is a $75 USFS fine and you cannot register without presenting your pass.
- Be extra careful about respecting the other outfitters.
- A SAFE event is a FUN event! If anyone on the water needs help at any point in time, the paddlers’ run will not be counted against them if they stop to assist. Also, paddlers will not be bumped or unable to jump back into play if they assist others.
These events will be run with the typical World Kayak Hometown Throwdown format/rules that will be explained at the compeditor’s meeting.
Event Day Division Registration:
- Novice (All ages, with paddlers grouped by age)
- Intermediate (All ages, with paddlers grouped by age)
- Expert (All ages, with paddlers grouped by age)
- Men’s K-1: Male paddlers age 18 or above
- Women’s K-1: Female paddlers age 18 or above
- C-1: Single blade paddlers (open boat or kayak)
- Junior Women: Female youth paddlers age 17 or below
- Junior Men: Male youth paddlers age 17 or below
Must have a minimum of 5 participants to create any other class.
2012 WORLDKAYAK Hometown Throwdown Championship Sponsors:
This is just two of several events that will be going on during the GAF weekend, so lots of BIG Boomin’ Fun is in store to be had at the NOC during this weekend!!
If you have never had the pleasure to join in on the fun of a Hometown Throwdown and don’t know what it is all about; check out this blog post with photos, videos & the story from the 2010 NOC GAF HTTD event that was held at the NOC Wave: http://worldkayakblogs.com/throwdown/2010/09/29/2010-n-o-c-g-a-f-hometown-throwdown-event-coverage/
I hope to see you on the Nanty for these FUN EVENTS!
Event Contact Info:
Organizer: Wesley R. Bradley