The first ever race on Johnstown PA’s Paint Creek saw a field of 14 creek boaters ready to fly down the relatively short but steep race course section of the river. Water was on the low side, however a bright sunny warm spring day, and ample water to navigate the rapids of the race course made for high spirits and good times and lines.
Racers were given two runs with winners crowned for both the fastest lap of two and the fastest combined times. Race began in an eddy above Big falls rapid dropping about 40 vertical feet in the first 50 yards of the course. Paddlers then had to navigate some shallow run out until the found the deep water to lead them into Big Sluice.
Once through Big Sluice,paddlers then had a large pool of swirly water to navigate as they enter the lead in to Mamas’ Crack. . They would round the bend and then have to boof a 2 foot ledge into some funny water above the nasty undercut and seive that give Mama’s Crack it’s name.
After Mama’s Crack it was about a 1/4 mile of class 3 boogie water ending with a healthy 5 foot boof at Road Hole Rapid , where paddlers had to paddle across a strong eddyline to hit the beach on the river left backside of the eddy where a banner courtesy of Sponsor Stonyboater Paddle Wax marked the finish line.
After the first lap what made the race even more interesting was that paddlers had to hike out of the creek and back up to the start approximately 1/2 mile for their next lap.
Once the race was over the top 3 finishers in the combined and fastest lap categories were treated to Hand Carved Hei Matau necklaces courtesy of race sponsor Soulful Bones and artist/owner Greg Lipps. All participants were then called out by bib number to pick from the great assortment of Schwagg as provided by the generous sponsors of World Kayak.
The results are as follows:
Listed are all races in order from #1-14 based on combined scores. Only the Fastest lap time for the top 3 is listed here. All stats will be available on the official score page once we adjust the format for our new series.
Racer / Bib # / Combined Time / Fastest Lap
1. Bobby Miller / #5 / 6min20sec / 3min09sec
2. Eli Loiben / #10 / 6min41sec / 3min17sec Tied for 2nd fastest Lap
3. Brad Romano / #2 / 6min43sec / 3min17sec Tied for 2nd fastest Lap
4. Seth Chapelle / #1 / 6min45sec / NA 1st Place and only C1 way to hang with the two bladers Seth !
5. Jeff Blood / #6 / 6min49sec / NA
6. Bill Warble / #4 / 7min09sec / NA
7. Sean Chapelle / #8 / 7min13sec / NA
8. Jason O’Neil / #48 / 7min31sec / NA
9. Seth Burdette / #7 / 7min33sec / NA
10. Jason Rigby / #9 / 7min35sec / NA
11. Matt Sloan / #45 / 7min36sec / 3min21sec 3rd Place Fastest Lap
12. Mike Cook / #3 / 8min28sec / NA
13. Adam Rettig / #47 / 8min47sec / NA
14. Steve Kroser / #46 / 9min19sec / NA 1st Place and only Hand Paddler Good Job Steve!
More pics and video will be available soon. !
Special Thanks to Coal Tubin and owner Chad Gontkovic for providing safety and support along with Eric Koontz of Benscreek Canoe Club. Also thanks to Ian Smith from Surf Sup Adventures for helping out with timing and starting the racers. And last but not least to Shannon Arlauckas and Josh Fetters for handling the finish line.
Next event the TOP YOUGH RACE , April 7, 2012 : SEE YOU ON THE RIVER – Cheers, Jay